Monday, February 10, 2014

choose your weapon

mine has always been words. with a back up of silent treatment, of course. and, as things in life always seem to come full circle (so i'm learning), my eldest now is blessed with an artillery of verbal weapons and uses them, daily. en garde!

I came across this beauty on facebook:

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/01/scientific-proof-thoughts-intentions-can-alter-physical-world-around-us.html

may not be new to many but the visual is just so stopping and I feel represents the exact "trinity of S" that binds me: screaming (shouting, shrieking... you get the idea) swearing and sarcasm.

there is one phrase that has hit me to the very core since my parenting journey began and it has nothing to do with being a parent. in my opinion, anyone can change a diaper, feed a baby or get to swim lessons. BUT not everyone is up to the task of raising a whole person. why? because at the end of the day none of that stuff matters (though it makes for a very "interesting" day). bums can be stinky, hair can be tangled and shirts can be stained.

the epicenter of being a big person in charge of little persons is in this one question: ARE YOU WORTHY OF IMITATION? say it out loud. pause. repeat. now continue.

your daughter sassy-mouths you? wonder where on earth she picked up that TONE? right. suddenly the weapons you choose are the ones pointing right back at you. and, nine times out of ten, that little body hurling them in your direction is already better than you at it.

now, I admittedly take a small moment of pride when my two year old drops the f bomb at the precise moment I would have (barreling down the highway and missing our exit). ha ha, cute right? hearing him exasperatingly declare it when unable to Velcro (yes Velcro) his shoes up is heartbreaking.

to this I say with honest and experienced sincerity; choose wisely friends.

angela

No comments: