Monday, February 03, 2014

I can, I can, I can SO!

Other than the French, (international authority on nearly all they can be on the planet) "zee ghairmans" just get it. Michael Schumacher, Bauhaus Architecture, FIFA world cup champions... zey almosht seem like superhumans? Maybe - but I won't go there. That's a whole other "German thing". (wink wink, nudge nudge) It may also just be my personal experience with German things making me a bit biased. I drive a German car, it happened to be my favourite stop on our European adventure, it's my favourite accent to mimick... and who can deny the glockenspiel or lederhosen?? (no apologies on the latter two sounding like complete mockery) But, in all seriousness I came across this poem recently written by Goethe (1749 – 1832) who was a German philosopher, scientist and writer and went: GAH! again. THEY JUST GET IT...

The Conclusion
by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element.
It is my personal approach that creates the climate.
It is my daily mood that makes the weather.
I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous.
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration.
I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal.
In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized.
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.
If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.


As a mum this particularly hits home. As a person I just feel like - dang lady! Clap your hands and get it together! Be the change, BE THE CHANGE you wish to see in the world. IF Hedley can, then I most certainly can SO. (wonder if they are german?)

Best,
Angela

No comments: